Tuesday, December 07, 2004

An Introduction

I thought it would be kind (and proper), to use the first entry of this blog as an introduction. It is yet to be determined if anyone will ever view my blog, but if they do, it is good to know that there will be something at the beginning to explain it (at least to some degree -- after all, this is me we are talking about).

The title is a derivative of the word Adiaphora. The best definition I can find (or which I feel best defines it for my need) is: A wholly unnecessary endeavor, not worthy of your time or interest. The word is often used as a religious term, but is such a great word that it would be a shame to not become such a larger part of our vocabulary. I feel confident that along the way I will reference enough data that is worthless. Not to me of course, its is my life, and why would I take time to post something that was worthless? But that is not to say that I never have been involved in adiaphora. There are consistently worthless endeavors to get around.

So what will show up in these pages? It is hard to say. Probably cool stuff I find on the web and feel is worth passing on. Probably stories from my life (I spend plenty of time at work, so you are bound to learn more about my day job than you ever wanted to know). And without a doubt you will find my thoughts and quandaries and rants and rages. I have a number of valuable viewpoints to pass on, and this seems like the best way to pass them on. Oh sure I tell my friends and co-workers (a number of people fit both those categories) why this or that is important, or why something should be done a different way, but who knows what they do with the information I impart on them. They probably just label it adiaphora and get on with their lives. I can't blame them, they have their own lives to live, and who I am to be taking up some of their brain cells with such information. For example, if you hear that the metric system (SI) is better than english measurement, then that might claim the part of your brain that knew how many teaspoons were in a cup. It might prove my point, but when you are in the grocery store trying to get the correct amount of an ingredient for your recipe, you will be worse off. (Oh see, I have already let on to one of my sticking points, the cat is out of the bag, time to wrap things up, and go home).

One thing I would love to do is post some of my dreams. The problem is that I tend to forget them as soon as I wake up. Every once in a while I do manage to remember more than one little bit (such as last night when there were two sports combined into one, which sports? I no longer really know. I think soccer might have been one, but as for the other it is really a mystery).

And yes, I will talk more about myself somewhere along the way. You can learn about my hometown, my college year, my life here in DC (note to self: someday include the diatribe on why we shouldn't really call it DC), and wherever my life happens to take me.

Thanks for reading all of this, you can go back to whatever you were doing before now.

-- Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home