Friday, July 13, 2007

Why Even Bother

Yes, it has been a long time since I posted. Of course since you are using an RSS reader, it doesn't really matter, because it alerts you to my new posts.

Anyway, I wanted to comment on my July 4 experience. After being kicked off the National Mall (technically not allowed on the Mall) for a rain storm (a grand 0.1 inch (0.25 cm)), I headed home to make dinner rather than spend it at one of the regional offerings on the Mall (yes, I am sure the vendors were just as pleased as I was to be kicked off the Mall).

I came back to the Mall for the fireworks. But what caught my attention more than the fireworks were the cell phones. Yes, rather than watch the main attraction there were people yakking away on their phones.

I don't own one of these infernal devices, so I just don't get it. It seems that people are more connected to their phones and therefore totally disconnected to the world around them. I know that we all have times when we want to not pay attention to the world going around us, but I have never seen it manifested as well as when I see someone jabbering away at their phone. I can not figure out what could be so important to talk about that you would need to disconnect from friends or family around you to attend to your cell phone.

Even worse is the idea of traveling somewhere for a specific event (such as the fireworks) only to not pay attention to it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home