Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Fight or Flight (or Fight about Flights)

So, how do you define a flight of stairs? My good friends at Ikea (see story below) seem to have some a measurement that does not follow my definition. I would say that going from one floor to the next equates to one flight of stairs. The delivery folks of Ikea seem to think that each landing between two floors is a flight of stairs. Their contract says they can only haul furniture up a given number of flights of stairs, so it is to their advantage to count every single landing.

They also seem to have some odd concept of where to start counting flights of stairs. In my world (and I fully admit that my world does not seem to be the same as others) if you enter on the first floor and go to the fourth floor, you have gone up three floors. If you count landings halfway between floors, then the total would be 6 flights of stairs. My good friends from Ikea assured me I was well beyond 6 flights of stairs, which I just don't understand.

The end result is that I have a table, but I am still frustrated by my Ikea experience.

-- Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home