Friday, September 08, 2006

24/7/52

I remember the old days when the expression was 24/7. Actually the first time I heard it (in college) my friend had to explain it. "Oh, I see it there are 24 hours in a day and there are 7 days within a week"

But somewhere along the way it seems the expression became 24/7/365. And once again someone needs to explain it to me. Following the logic of the first half of the expression it seems to imply there are 365 weeks in a year. That can't possibly be correct.

The way I see it since the first step goes from hours to day, the next step should not be from days to days, but rather days to weeks. Therefore the corrected expression should be 24/7/52

I hope that this is only an United States thing. Since the US is stuck in a vacuum that uses nonsensical measurements, maybe is just flows.

Maybe it relates to the fact that the US tracks dates by month/day/year (medium increment/small increment/large increment) as opposed a more natural progression of small to large (or vise versa).

Maybe people will read my blog and there will be a culture shift.

-- Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home