Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Anthropocentric

What role do people play in the environment?  What role do humans play in correcting the mistakes that we have made? How do you get humans to be concerned about the environment?  how do you get humans to be concerns about the environment beyond what directly impacts them?  Beyond what directly impacts them and other humans?

I don't know

The more I think about these issues, the more lost and confused I become.

Sure I took Eco-Philosophy, but that was over ten years ago -- I have forgotten most of what I was taught in the class (I still remember a comment about prophets vs. profits).

Anthropocentric was a word I learned in college, but I think I recognized the issues well before I learned the word.  Anthropomorphic is another one of those great words, and is probably well related -- it is easier to relate to something more like us (people like Mickey a whole lot more than they like regular mice)

But my main question (at the moment) is: To convince people to do something good for the environment, how much do you need to appeal to their sense of anthropocentricity?  Do they need to feel a sense of human connection to what it is they are protecting?  If there was a wilderness area that not only banned motorized vehicles (and any other motorized machinery), but also humans, could people support that?  If a species needed complete removal from human interaction to survive extinction, would people support that?

Lots of questions...No real answers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home