Tuesday, January 11, 2005

An Open Letter to My Employer

Before I begin, I want to admit that there may be something that I don't fully know about the project described below, and am willing to retract this letter if the work described below is due to fire safety, or some other valid reason.

Dear Employer:

Last week there was an electrician in the conference room once again. Changing the lighting around once again. I assume that this is not free. The fact that the electrician was unable to complete the work in a single day, also implies that the work is quite involved. Worse, my experience yesterday, seems to imply that the new layout will be for the worse when trying to dim the lights for presentations.

Why? Why are we doing this? What possible reason could justify us spending money like this? It just doesn't make sense to me.

We are a non-profit organization, we depend on the kindness of others to fund the work that we do. How would some small funder feel knowing that we are diverting money from what we proclaim to do, and wasting it on lights? (If we were a theatre company, I realize that lights would be a vital part of what we do, and therefore quite justified. We are not a theatre company.)

We assist other non-profit organizations. Some that are quite small, with no paid staff. What would their reaction be if they were to hear that the amount we have spent on lights (I am including the costs of the first conference room lights re-arrangement) is an amount greater than their entire budget.

I hope there is something I am missing. I hope to hear the response that the re-arrangement of lights is indeed vital to our important work. That the ends justify these means. Some persuasive argument that will change my whole perspective.

But I doubt that will happen.

So, the money is already spent. It makes no sense to have the electrician undo his work. What can this wonderful organization do to make up for this un-wonderful decision? Here is my suggestion. Whatever the cost of this current project the organization should cut a check for an equal amount to a charity. Think of all of those impacted by the tsunami, desperate for basics of life, not fancy lightbulbs. Think of how much more you could brighten up lives in Darfur than brightening a conference room.

-- Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home