Monday, May 26, 2008

Cacophony

I recently got a Sansa clip mp3 player (cheaper than an ipod, and none of that annoying software to install).  I have been using it as I try to encourage myself to walk home from work more often.

What I have noticed is just how noisy the city can become.  There is still way too much traffic in the city (implying, to me at least, that gas hasn't gotten quite expensive enough yet).  For the most part, the sounds from a vehicle seem to be proportionate to its size -- the large car is worst than the small car, but the big truck is worst of all.  And yes there are occasionally those who have the volume of their music device turned up as if I wanted to hear what they were playing (I do not).

But there is one offender that breaks this concept of proportionality -- the motorcycle.  I just don't comprehend why they are so loud.  The rider is closer to the engine, so one would have to imagine the rider would want a quieter engine.  I would guess that the engine is smaller, which should mean there is less engine to make noise.  I am sure there is some percentage of motorcycle owners with horrible psychological issues who need to feel important by catching our attention with a noisy motorcycle, maybe to make up for other shortcomings in their life.  And I am sure there are others who are just inconsiderate jerks like those that play the music in their vehicles too loudly.  But that really can't explain all motorcycle owners, can it?

I really am just missing something here.

-- Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home