Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Demolition Weekend: Saturday

Saturday.

Time to take the floor out. Or at least start.

After a slight delay, and a stop by Sidamo for the best coffee in DC, it was off to work in removing the floor.

But not just the tile (which I initially planned for oh so long ago). There was a cement substrate under the tile. I was told it had to come out as well. It seemed to be crumbling under the few tiles I pulled up with my kitchen contractor. It looked think under the tiles we pulled up as well.

What we found out that wasn't fully the case. The cement had been used to level out the floor, and for the most part was very thick. At least 4 cm in many places, I am willing to guess (I did not formally measure it)


My friend TJ is working away at it.



TJ making more progress


Maybe it is easier when sitting down?

My friend Beth also joined us later and helped out but asked that I not post photos of her. She was able to get much larger chunks out than TJ and I had been able to.

Yes, and all the debris had to be hauled downstairs.

All this pounding wore us out. But it also caused so much vibration that it destroyed the ceiling light of my neighbor below me. She has been very forgiving.

-- Andy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home