Saturday, May 07, 2005

Absolutely Outrageous

N.C. Church Kicks Out Members Who Do Not Support Bush

I do not think I have mentioned religion on my blog ever before. But this is one case, of many, that makes me want to speak up.

The article above disturbs me greatly. It makes me understand why so many people think religion is just some whacky thing. For me it isn't. But then you have all these people who go around perverting religion, and it becomes easy to see at least one reason why people think it's whacky.

Not every place of worship will remove you because your political viewpoints are different from theirs. I attend a very liberal church, and we welcome everyone. Those who are conservative may not like or may be uncomfortable with what they hear, but they will be welcomed. I also know of churches that are more conservative than the one I attend that would not remove you if your political view points differed.

And while we are on this general topic, many people who are religious believe in evolution. (note to self: some of the history around Scopes Monkey Trial is really interesting, and not at all what I thought it would be -- I should do a blog about it)

I want to partially blame this on the press. Where is their reporting that presents both sides? Bring up an environmental issue in which the majority of scientists believe X is a problem/concern and the press will always present the other side. But bring up evolution or politics, and they seem to think its all one sided.

Update: Ousting of Churchgoers Called 'Misunderstanding'

It will be interesting to see how this resolves itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home